Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Minute Cake

Do you ever get the urge to just eat cake? I do... a lot.


Just the other day, I came home after dropping off my kids at school. It was 10am. My house was empty except for me and my demanding tummy. Knowing that this was cleaning day and I had a limited amount of time to get my cleaning done, I pulled out a ramekin and my whisk, an egg, and a couple of other ingredients. Shameful, I know. But as I knew I could post about it here and help others with similar urges, I felt obligated.


Obviously, I didn't make cake in the traditional sense. It would have taken me at least 45 minutes from start to finish and I was not prepared to wait that long. I wanted cake and I wanted it now.... at 10am on a Thursday morning.
So, I threw together a few key ingredients into a ramekin and microwaved them for a minute. The results were quite impressive for a 1-minute microwaved cake, also known as a "mug cake" to us sugar addicts out there. I wanted a chocolate chip cookie cake in under 2 minutes and that's what I got. When you are making such quick cooked treats as mug cakes, it's important to remember that they can dry out quite quickly. See how moist my cake looks on top? Having made many mug cakes, I've found that this moist, slightly wet-looking top is crucial in producing a moist mug cake. If the top of a mug cake looks dry, the cake inside will be dry as well..
If you have such random dessert cravings as mine, try this recipe. It's delicious, it's moist, slightly gooey (I like mine the slightest bit under-baked), warm and comforting. Studded with chocolate chips and piled high with whipped cream, it's the perfect mid-morning snack. ;-)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Minute Cake

By: Leelabean

Yield: One generous 10-oz serving or 2 5-oz servings

4 T all-purpose flour
2 T light brown sugar
1 T corn syrup
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 egg
1 t vanilla
2 T chocolate chips

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add the egg, butter, vanilla, and corn syrup and whisk until well combined.


Pour the batter into a microwaveable ramekin (1 10-oz or 2 5-oz).


Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the batter (don't mix it in) and microwave the 10-oz ramekin for 1 minute, closely watching to make sure it doesn't rise over the sides of the bowl while cooking. Depending on the strength of your microwave, you may a little need more or less time. If you need more, microwave in 10 second pulses. If you are using 5-oz ramekins, microwave for 30 seconds, initially, and then in 10 second increments until done. You will know the cake is done when there are small popped bubbles on top, kind of like a pancake that's ready to be flipped. But remember that it should be moist on top. In mug cakes, once the top looks dry, chances are your cake will be overdone and unappealingly dry as well.
Top with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment