Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Frankenstorm Halloween

Hello, everyone. It's been a while since my last post and as much as I've missed posting about the sweet offerings of my kitchen, my break has been warranted. You see, my family and I live in New Jersey and Sandy ferociously plundered through our home state en route to historical disasterous grandiosity a couple of weeks ago. This hurricane whipped through many East Coast states, leaving devastation in New York and New Jersey. My husband's and my childhood homes of Gerritsen Beach and Staten Island took some very major hits. Our college town of Hoboken withstood serious damage. As you can see, this storm affected us on a personal level. It's been the closest we've ever come to disaster.
Still, lucky for us, our home in New Jersey braved Sandy with very minimal damage. Some of my friends and their families were not so lucky.
While many of my friends and families suffered damages to their properties and belongings, no one was hurt, thankfully. Seeing the positive in rough times, I find that events like these bring people together in ways that no other can. Disasters, as tragic and unfair as they are, reveal such a beautiful side in the human race - bringing forth a true love and generosity, humility and thoughtful spirit. Setting aside all differences, these times seem to equalize us for a moment.
The power in our house was out for 8 days. We realized that even though this made life slightly more difficult than usual, it was still just power - heat and light. Heat is a few extra sweaters and socks, maybe a hat and some gloves, sitting in front of a blazing fireplace. Light is a flashlight and some candles, daylight.
Please consider giving freely whether by physically offering your help or donating to organizations with the goal of assistance and repair for Hurricane Sandy victims and areas. American Red Cross allows you to donate $10 to relief efforts by texting REDCROSS to 90999. You can also visit their website to learn more about their work and donate in other ways.


On a lighter note, Governor Christie declared Monday, November 5th a postponed Trick-or-Treating day for kids in New Jersey. In lieu of this, I am posting pictures from a Halloween cake I made earlier in October. I know this is a bit late and that we're all in heavy preparation for Thanksgiving now, but the storm partnered with a week-long vacation left me with no choice. I hope all of you trick-or-treaters didn't let the conditions put a damper on your spirits and that you had a candy-filled, fun Halloween!



2 comments:

  1. Hello! I've never liked the look of fondant cakes, and therefore never have tasted one. Your Halloween cake though , looks absolutely gorgeous! It's the first one I'd like to try. My father was a world famous Pastry Chef, and I mostly got used to butter-cream icings I was born in N.J., graduated from Paramus H.S., and then went on to Stevens in Hoboken. Glad you weathered the storm reasonably well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous. I went to Stevens, too. Fondant is so versatile that you can do virtually anything with it and achieve any sort of look, so I do urge you to try it. As for eating it, I do happen to make my own fondant, which is much yummier than the storebought, but a lot of people just remove it and eat the cake underneath. As for the dark brown decorations along the side of my Halloween cake, I used sugar sheets (like the kinds you feed into the Cricut machines).. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete