Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Long Weekend, A Trio of Cupcakes

This Memorial Day weekend, although initially having quite a bit of free time, we ended up filling up nearly every moment of it with gettogethers and other obligations.
With a fairly packed weekend, I wanted to bake desserts that were fun and creative. What better option than a cupcake medley - three different cupcakes made from the same batter but each completely different in flavor and presentation.


The first cupcake was a lime cupcake - a fluffy vanilla cupcake filled with lime curd I had made last week and topped with a lime curd American buttercream. The second cupcake was a tiramisu-inspired cupcake - the same vanilla cupcake drenched in a coffee syrup and topped with a delicious coffee infused whipped mascarpone frosting and sprinkled with chocolate chips. The final cupcake was a funfetti cupcake topped with a chocolate American buttercream. These three cupcakes were fit for a go on Cupcake Wars. Yes, I'm shamelessly in love with this show...!

Funfetti Cupcake with Chocolate Buttercream
After last week's overabundance of yolks which resulted in a shelf-full of delicious lime curd in my fridge, I didn't want to be posed with the same problem again this week. So, I bought a container of liquid egg whites, which are 100% pasteurized. This was my first time using this product and I loved it. Liquid egg whites are great for baking and keep quite nicely in the fridge and the no-waste solution is always a plus for me.

Lime Curd-Filled Cupcake with Lime Curd Buttercream
It was nice to give my friends the option of dessert rather than have just one. A lot of them sampled the different flavors, so it ended up being a fun experience for all.

Tiramisu-Inspired Cupcake
Despite getting sick towards the end of the weekend, it was nice to enjoy a few days with friends.
Later this week, I've got an amazing homemade brownie recipe for you all...! Dare I say, it's rivals those boxed brownie mixes that we all love so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment